Wednesday, March 30, 2011

EAT: Cultural Food Festival

This is my absolute favourite day of the year (seriously I think I get more excited about it than I do about my birthday or Christmas).  Every year the city council puts on a big cultural food festival to celebrate all the different culture within our city (and let me tell you there are a lot).  People from all sorts of communities come together and make food from their countries which you can then buy at the different stalls.  As well as this there are also people selling ethnic clothing, art work etc and put on live performances.  But lets get back to the food!  Aside from the fact that I am a food freak and love to try new things, the main reason why I am so in love with this festival is that the Eritrean community always have a food stall.



 This makes it the one time of year that I get to gorge myself on injera (the sour pancake that is their staple diet), and even more than that I get to drink delicious Eritrean coffee.  Let me tell you, regardless of whether you are a coffee fan or not, you are going to love this!  The coffee isn't bitter and sharp like our regular cafe coffee, instead it is sweet and spicy and earthy and you feel like you could just drink it all day!  It's hard to explain how they actually make it, but maybe these pictures can give you a bit of an idea;




 The whole process that goes along with it is amazing, it's like a ritual.  Oh and naturally only the women are allowed to make coffee... isn't that just so typical!
x



3 comments:

  1. Once every year we have "the world village festival", it's representing cultures from all over the world (very few of them are actually represented in Finland otherwise, unfortunately we have so little foreigners here). And there's always so much good to eat. I must look if there are any Eritrean people there the next time and if they have coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so interesting. It's hard to imagine because New Zealand is made of SO many different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have basically only "our own cultures", meaning Finnish- and Swedish-speaking and Same people (in the north). And some immigrants from Russia, Estonia and some other European countries. And all of these cultures are in many ways quite similar. Of cultures a little more different we have a bunch of people from Somalia and Turkey, but the rest are basically so few that you can't really spot them... Finland have such a strict immigrant policy, among the strictest in Europe (and still a lot of people think we have TOO MANY immigrants, I guess they'd prefer Finland closed as North Korea).

    ReplyDelete