Monday, February 23, 2009

A sneaky day off...

I worked so hard yesterday and got everything done I needed to so I decided to treat myself to a day off. Because it was looking overcast and was altogether not terribly warm (not quite beach warm anyway) I decided to go to the Auckland War Memorial Museum. Considering my love for all things old I spent a happy few hours lost in a world of artifacts, dinosaurs, and all sorts of other wonders. I was especially moved (as I always am) by the holocaust/ WWII section and eventually felt so depressed that I had to leave. Being that I am half German I find this very difficult to come to terms with but what also gets to me is the fact that had I been living in Germany at the time I would most definatly have become a victim of the Nazi's myself because I am also half African. It saddens me even more to know that this hasn't been the last holocaust to occur since WWII either. It really puts the human race as a whole to shame. Anyway to cheer me up when I left the library the sun was shinning and it had turned into a beautiful day so I spent some time in the park and visited the old winter gardens. They are so impossibly romantic! It's amazing how quickly you stop seeing all the beauty that is right on your door step, we take so much for granted. I just had to take some pictures...














These gardens were built in the 1920's and are so romantic. They make me feel like I'm in the gardens of some grand old palace in Europe... sigh.
x












No comments:

Post a Comment