Saturday, November 12, 2011

A vintage kind of weekend: Auckland Retro Fair

I never thought I would say this... but I'm kind of vintaged out this weekend.  First the amazing Retro Vixens yesterday and then today I went and checked out the Auckland Retro Fair.  Before heading there we went to our favourite new cafe Little and Friday.  If you live in Auckland you absolutely have to go here!






Cute right?!  Their food is AMAZING, they have giant gold fish bowls on their big communal tables, water is in old milk bottles and has fresh mint and cinnamon quills in it, instead of table numbers you get given a small animal (some how I always end up with the donkey... hmmm), everything from the little mugs to the silver cutlery is vintage and retro AND the whole thing is set up inside a beautiful fabric store so you can have a browse while you wait for your coffee.  Can you tell that I'm enthusiastic about this place??

Anyway after that we hit the Retro Fair and dragged my dad along too.  Funny how your parents can surprise you, I didn't grow up with my father so I'm sure there are a lot of things I don't know about him... one I discovered though is that he loves vintage/ retro furniture!  It all makes so much sense now, no wonder my sister and I have a weakness for all this old treasure!



I was actually very good and managed to restrain myself from buying anything.  It was still great to check everything out and have a chat to a few fellow vintage sellers that I have gotten to know over the years.
Well that was my weekend.  If I thought I was pooped after yesterday I'm even more exhausted today!  The rest of the week will be taken up with writing deadlines, adding new items to Trade Me and planning the future of Dashfield Vintage.  Sounds dramatic doesn't it!  It's not really, however it is sort of exciting.  This year has really been an opportunity for me to dip my toes in the water and test the temperature.  Now that Dashfield Vintage has started to take off I need to establish myself more seriously.  All the ground work is there, it's just time to piece it all together so that come the beginning of 2012 this baby will be a well oiled machine!  Okay I know, I know stop talking already and wrap this post up!  I'm done, I'm out.  Off to cook dinner and spend the rest of the evening watching some terrible television.
Hope you all had a great weekend too.
x

3 comments:

  1. Wow - how on earth did you manage to NOT buy anything? I love your photos and the food made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my ratbag brother went to this and keep sending me tease photos!!!! I so wished I was there. That cafe looks like heaven, note to ones self to go!!!,
    Thanks for sharing.
    Loved the photo in the last post of the beautiful young lady becoming the new owner of a Dashfield vintage treasure.
    I understand how it feels when one of your precious pieces finds a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That place sounds so cool!! :D Fabric shopping and a cafe in one?? Cool!!

    Kc

    http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete