Monday, May 28, 2012

A flowery winter


If you've been following my blog for a while then you may have already noticed that I am more than a little bit obsessed with flowers (truth be told in another life time I would probably be a florist)!  I love them across all four seasons.  In Summer and Spring they feel like a continuation of the busy blooming garden outside, and in Winter they help to brighten the house up and let you forget that it's a bit miserable.  I often have people asking me what the easiest way is to lighten up the mood of their homes and I tell them (with way too much enthusiasm) GET A BUNCH FLOWERS!  They don't have to be a big designer bouquet, in fact often it's nicer if they aren't.  If you have a garden, or live near the country then go for a wander and pick a big bunch of wild flowers.  Cut the stems on a slight angle, pop them into your favourite vase, pot or old glass bottle and ta da your room just became cheerful and full of life!

Most of my flowers come either from the local markets or one of these great dairies we have here that sell them rather cheap.  On average I would say I spend about $10 every two weeks on these beauties.  In order to not blow my budget I always try to go for flowers that I know live longer.  Chrysanthemum's are always fantastic and come in a whole lot of different shapes and colours.  They usually tend to last for about 3 weeks (I try to change the water once a week) and then to stretch them out even longer when they start to go brown, I cut off the ones that still look good and pop them into a smaller vase.  Then I will put these ones in the bathroom or the bedroom window sill.

If fresh flowers are either not your thing or not in your budget then you could try some alternatives.  These DIY paper flowers are really easy to make (although a little time consuming) and create really beautiful pops of colour.  The best thing is that you can coordinate the colours to match the rest of your decor.  Once again I arrange them in my ever growing collection of old glass bottles and then put them in a corner that I feel needs brightening up.

One other alternative to fresh flowers that I have been using for as long as I can remember are dried flowers.  I don't mean those little flowers that you used to impatiently press between a heavy book when you were a kid, but the kind that you can dry in big bunches without them ever loosing their colour.  Some flowers work better then others so it's best to ask first, but the more hardy ones seem to do a better job.  Simply tie your bouquet together and leave it to hang upside down in a dry place.  You will slowly see the stalks change from green to brown and yet the flower reminds bright and vibrant.  It's sort of exciting to watch for a flower nerd!  Once they are fully dried (this requires some patience because you don't want to take them down too early and have them go moldy) you just need to arrange them into a pretty vase and possibly dust them every now and then!

And there you have it!  You don't have to be a florist, or even have green thumbs for that matter.  You just need to have an eye for pretty colours which I know you all do!  I can honestly recommend flowers to ward away your winter blues.
x

5 comments:

  1. I love fresh flowers!!! When I have enough money left over at the end of the week I always buy myself some carnations. I actually prefer wildflowers, but carnations are my favourite storebought flower :)
    Your photographs are gorgeous by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I do love your paper flower alternative to the real thing:)). I agree with Kate, your pics are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweet we are from the same book!!!!! I was training to be a florist when I brought Tete a Tete vintage. My heart sings when I pick flowers and bring them inside. Happiness is pretty flowers.
    I just love this post, the photographs are beautiful and your ideas just lovely.
    Thank you from a happy flower lover too!!!!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love arranging flowers in bottles. In lots of bottles. Looks always great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them - they are an instant shot of colour and beauty! x

    ReplyDelete