Tuesday, October 23, 2012

If you're a little lady...



 


I'm proud of the fact that we've managed to hold out about the sex of this baby.  The constant guessing and hearing other peoples predictions has been fun BUT at the same time the suspense is killing me.  The main reason being that it takes time to collect good baby vintage!  I started putting aside little vintage dresses long before I was even sure that I wanted to have children, because let's face it, they're just too darn cute to pass up!  And so although I am of course happy with a boy or a girl, I am secretly hoping that I'm going to be able to make use of these beautiful clothes.

I'm not into pink and frills. I don't much like little baby headbands when they don't even have hair yet or soft pastels and babyish prints.  What I can't get enough of are bright, vibrant fabrics from the 50s and 60s that are sprinkled in flowers etc.  I also love stripes and spots, quirky handmade prints and natural fabrics (yikes and I've just realised right now that I'm turning into my own mother!).  I realise that it's going to be quite some time before the kid will fit any of these things... like at least a year or two (or 4 or 5)... but that's not going to stop me from collecting anyway.

Truth be told I'm a little bit overwhelmed by all the little newborn clothes that they need.  Despite being born in the middle of summer, I'm told that we need to stock up on all sorts of layers!  I keep thinking that surely it must be too soon to start buying any of the 'sensible' essentials, but then again time is flying by and I'm sure that these last 4 months will be over before we know it.  I would hate to be caught by surprise and not be prepared if a certain somebody makes an early grand entrance!

I know a lot of you are mama's.  How did you decide what to get and when to get it??  Being that I am the oldest of 5 siblings I always thought that this would be the easy part, but I feel quite clueless!
xx

4 comments:

  1. great collection of dresses, its hard to find kids vintage here I find, even harder to find boys.
    Gowns are my favourite for newborns, especially the little vintage or plunket style ones, makes changing nappies at night so much easier than trying to do up those domes on all in one suits. I just put a singlet underneath if needed and added booties and a cardi if it was a little cooler.The little gowns still seem to be quite easy to find in oppies if you want vintage ones otherwise the plunket pattern is easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I will look into those gowns, thank you :)

      Delete
  2. I can't stand baby head bans either! On those bald small poor heads. Well if they have hair it's a little better I guess :)
    I also like colourful patterns more than some random bunny animal with text...
    I didn't really get anything in advance. But then again we get the mother package which has so much for the baby one does not need to stock up. And I knew my mom had saved some of our old clothes and had some of dad's old stuff too. But in many ways modern baby clothing is a bit better, more practical buttons etc. Althohg over here nobdy apparently wants rompers anymore; some came with the package but the stores are just full of small pants, to which you need socks for the baby's feet and let me tell you, those socks will not stay on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha glad I'm not the only one who hates those! I remember reading on your blog about the 'mother' packages that you get, that is really amazing and would never happen here! It sounds like rompers might still be the way to go in the beginning. I guess we'll have to try a few things out and see what works best. I also need to see what is left out of our childhood baby clothes. I'm sure my mum can't have given it all away! xx

      Delete