Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Third generation treasure!



My favourite kind of vintage is something that has been in the family for a long time.  Back when I told my mum I was pregnant she turned the house upside down to try and find this baby pattern book.  If you can imagine, it once belonged to my great grandmother who used the patterns to knit little jackets for my mum and her siblings when they were young.  Then when my mum was pregnant with me, my grandmother used it to knit jackets and booties for yours truly. And now my little one is getting exactly the same kind of jacket that was worn my its mama and grandmother!  One of the notes written in the photo is from my great grandmother and the other from my grandmother who adjusted the measurements.  It looks like I'm going to have to remember how to knit again before I become a grandmother (thankfully I still have a bit of time ;)).
x

3 comments:

  1. Hey, that's German! Was your grandmother from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha good spotting! Yup she was, even I was born in Germany. The pattern book is actually Swiss German though so has some funny little differences in the language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I wish I could knit something more than a scarve, I see all these gorgeous patterns that I want to recreate! My mother in law is a wonderful knitter and to be fair we did recieve a pair of soft booties in the mail this morning.

    xxx
    http://newvintagenz.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete