Friday, March 7, 2014

Downtown


It's days like this that leave me wishing we lived in town again.  I miss the huge variety of different people (the North Shore isn't exactly known for its diversity), I miss the cafes and I miss just being able to walk down to the local shops.  Country life is great too of course and has many, many benefits but occasionally the grass (or concrete I suppose) looks a little more inviting on the other side.  Anyway although we had a lovely afternoon of exploring downtown Auckland, the real aim of our mission was to check out the Vintage Fashion museum exhibition.  What a fantastic and altogether unique location for such an event!  These gigantic, eery old Silo's make such a great exhibition space, although probably less appealing to those with claustrophobia.  As for the clothes themselves, hmmm they didn't particularly blow my socks off.  I mean yes, there were some beauties in the mix, particularly the blue 50s  El Jay frock, but on the whole it was a little sparse.  From what I understand a number of garments where being photographed at the time we were there so perhaps that's why there were so many naked mannequins. I'm glad we went of course, especially because I think it's important to support these events so that they can grow and educate more of the public, but it wasn't quite what I had hoped.  All in all we had a great day though, so no regrets there!


2 comments:

  1. Love the first picture of you and Ayana. Where is the third picture? I don't recognise it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fantastic place to hold an exhibition....wish I could jet over to NZ for a look myself. I picked up an El Jay jacket last year in Onehunga of all places. I hadn't heard of the brand before. Xx

    ReplyDelete