Monday, September 14, 2009

Sunday outing (part one): The Textile Vintage Fair...

Wow I can't even begin to tell you how AMAZING the Vintage Textile Fair was on Sunday! Oh before I begin this I have to apologise about the poor excuse for photos I am adding here, I always get so excited at places that I completely forget to take my camera out.



Fabrics, clothing, shoes, bags, hats, jewelery, books... it was all completely over whelming and beyond exciting. The fair began at 10 am and by the time we arrived at 10:30am the place was so packed out with buyers that you could hardly make it to the stalls to see anything. After an hour or so things quietened down enough to take the time to have a good nosey around and hunt for treasures. Sadly I had next to no money, but I still managed to treat myself to a few things...

I fell in love with this 1960's handbag. The photo doesn't do it justice at all but trust me, it's pretty fantastic!


This lovely hat which is actually smaller than it probably looks in the picture. It looks very smart if you wear it tilted to one side.


This book I think might very well turn out to be one of the most useful books I have ever bought! Not only does it show and explain how to make all sorts of hats, it also explains how to clean them, fix them, store them... basically everything a hat lover needs to know!


And because I bought the book, it only seemed right to purchase some vintage hat mesh too. I can't wait to use it on something special (oddly enough it smells just like candy floss!).



Oh and there is one other item I should add here. I didn't get this at the fair, I found it weeks ago whilst rummaging through an old pile of bags at the Salvation Army. When I googled it I saw that the Auckland Museum has one in their collection of New Zealand made 1950's costumes! It does need a bit of cleaning up but otherwise seems to be in great condition, not bad for $2.00.

Okay well that was the first part of my day. Then we went straight from there to the Retro Vixens event...

1 comment:

  1. Wow wonderful buys and the event looks like it was so much fun! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete