Thursday, July 28, 2011

The big dream: making a start

First of all thank you for your encouraging comments on my little (big) dream rant the other day.  Sometimes it really helps to just spill it all out on paper (or on screen in this case)!  So since then I have really gotten stuck in and started doing some proper research by hitting the books in order to learn more.
 One of the first things I did was to head down to the local library and pull out any book I could find on running a small business.  I came across a brilliant one called Small Business in New Zealand: A Practical Guide.  Then I bought myself a pretty red notebook from Typo (because I'm a stationary geek and am convinced that it will be more motivating!) and sat myself down in a cafe with a cup of coffee and a bowl of fries.  While a lot of things still seem way over my head and much too complicated, I do think I am getting my head around many other points that I didn't understand before.  As I mentioned in the other post I am starting a small business economics course soon so I am hoping that will clear up all the tax/ money issues I have.  I have also sneakily been checking out commercial real estate even though I know it is way to early for that!  After giving it a bit of thought I have realised that opening a shop and a cafe by myself in the beginning is probably biting off a little more than what I can chew.  So it's probably better to begin with the shop and then if that goes well expand into a cafe as well.

As far as ideas and inspiration goes, it is EVERYWHERE!  For example the other day we went to the sweetest little cafe in town that I had never been to before.  I had to pull out my camera and take some photos...



Everything in it was retro and vintage, and it had that real homely feel.  Even though it is not in a great neighbourhood and on a busy main road it was still absolutely packed... simply because it's the kind of place you would go out of your way to go to!  This really gave me something to think about as well.
Oh my goodness and just as a side note, I was SO excited to find out that they sell hibiscus flower juice.  If you have never tried this before then you absolutely must!  It is sour and tangy but deliciously sweet and refreshing at the same time.  Who would have thought eh! Unfortunately for me though I am on a no sugar diet for the next week so I have to resist temptation.  I can hear it calling me from the pantry though!

Okay that's all for now.  I will update you on any developments. I want to make this happen more than anything so I am determined to overcome my silly fears and live my dreams!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment