Friday, January 18, 2013

To work or not to work

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do in regards to working after I've had the baby. I remember talking to a friend a few years ago after she had just had her baby, and asking her if she felt like she wanted to go back to work.  I expected her to say that she wanted to be a stay at home mum forever (because who would ever voluntarily want to go back to work?!).  To my surprise she couldn't wait to get stuck into a new job because much like me she had just found something she really loved and was eager to get her career started.
I know with certainty that I don't want to be working at all (maybe selling the odd vintage pieces here and there) before the kid is at least 6 months to a year old. Up until then I want it to know that it has my full attention and definitely want to be breast feeding full time.  After that I think we need to see how it goes, see how we're all coping and see what kind of kid this turns out to be. 
Two things I know for sure though a) I want to go back to work at some stage, b) I don't want to plonk my child into daycare five days a week.  I'm really hoping that between Nic (who freelances as a photographer and therefore is flexible time wise) and I we can juggle childcare between us.  And on those occasions when we can't my mum has happily volunteered, which is great because she lives just down the road.
I don't need to be working full time but enough to slowly start building up my portfolio again (I began working as a stylist in the year leading up to my pregnancy and fell in love with the job) as well as having some time out to pursue my own goals as well.  I hope that doesn't sound selfish.  I have nothing against full time, stay at home mums.  I grew up with one and it was amazing!  But both financially and for my own peace of mind I need to have a little something of my own going on.  Of course I also need to make sure there is time to squeeze another baby in there too ;).
There are some working mama's out there in the blog world that I truly admire, they seem to have found a great balance (ha ha I realise it often just seems that way!).


(psst, this blog is my latest discovery and I LOVE it!)


(Another website I LOVE)

I know that everybody has different views on the matter, but at the moment those are mine. Who knows, I might completely change my mind when the baby arrives!
x

1 comment: