Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Thoughts on blogging

 I sat on my bed sweating over my first blog post about five or six years ago.  It was shortly before getting my first real article published (entitled 'A Beginners Guide to Vintage) and I was mildly terrified of putting myself out there for all the world to see.  Of course I had a My Space account but it was more for stalking really, I didn't actually post things myself.  I don't particularly remember what my first post was about, something to do with travel no doubt.  I do remember the rush of pushing publish and then running back every five minutes to see if anybody had taken a peek.  With every new reader I ran around the room squealing, 'oh my god, oh my god, oh my god'.  And then when people started leaving comments I was just beside myself.  What a rush!  What a thrill!  To think that timid little old me could spill some thoughts out on my computer and people from all over the world would actually take the time to read it, think about it and respond!  After that I wrote regularly for a while, it even led to a regular column on a New Zealand fashion website for a while (which I quickly realised was rubbish for me because I took very little interest in anything that wasn't vintage, let alone New Zealand fashion).  Since then I've stopped and started blogging many times.  My subject matter has changed occasionally.  Sometimes I would get caught up trying to copy somebody else who inspired me.  And occasionally I would just run out things to say and throw in the towel altogether.  Basically, aside from dabbling in Yahoo chat rooms when the internet first began (*gasp* yes kids I'm practically prehistoric), blogging was my gateway drug into the addictive world of social media. But that's another story.

I blog for several reason, the main one being because I love to write and to photograph.  Unlike when you're working for a magazine, here there is nobody telling you what you can and can't do.  There are no deadlines other than the ones you might choose to set for yourself.  It's a beautiful creative outlet and often connects you with other like minded people.  I started Dashfield Vintage the blog around the same time as starting Dashfield Vintage the shop.  I wanted a space to advertise up coming markets, new shop items and maybe the odd vintage inspired article.  It served its purpose well.  Eventually my interest in spending every weekend at market stalls, and weekdays competing with other vintage sellers to try and hunt down an ever diminishing source of stock wore me down.  When I then became pregnant I realised that it was time to take a break. What about the blog?  I still enjoyed writing it, but my interests and subject matter were changing.  I felt I had to start a new blog, I thought I would try my had at lifestyle blogging.  After a few posts it just didn't feel right to put my baby daughter and young family on public display. And then it dawned on me, Dashfield is my blog, I can write whatever the hell I like on it, I don't have to stay vintage exclusive.  It's my home on the internet, it's a reflection of me in way and I want to continue to use it for documenting all the beautiful things that inspire me.

So for those of you who have followed me faithfully as I flit from one place to another (thank you), I'm happy to tell you that I've gone full circle and found my way home again.  I have changed, my life has changed greatly since the early beginnings of Dashfield, so changes are coming over the next few months to both the blog and other related projects too.
xx

1 comment:

  1. Goodness this resonates with me! Anyway yay for you, claim your spot, write about what you want! xx

    ReplyDelete